MPA Maturity Rating
BBFC Maturity Rating
Watch with Premium
(1987) online with
Matewan is a 1987 movie with a runtime of 132
Director John Sayles,
Cast Chris Cooper,
James Earl Jones,
Filmed in the coal country of West Virginia, "Matewan" celebrates labor organizing in the context of a 1920s work stoppage. Union organizer, Joe Kenehan, a scab named "Few Clothes" Johnson and a sympathetic mayor and police chief heroically fight the power represented by a coal company and Matewan's vested interests so that justice and workers' rights need not take a back seat to squalid working conditions, exploitation and the bottom line. Currently you are able to watch "Matewan
" streaming on we platform.
- MPAA Reason
- BBFC Reason
- Maturity Rating Reason
based on a true story,
- BBFC Ratings info
- Sex & Nudity
- Sex & Nudity Reason
- The word "whore" is said once; it's implied that a woman was forced to have sex with a man and then she says that he threw money on her bed as if she were a prostitute.
- Violence & Gore
- Violence & Gore Reason
- Chris Coopers character is trying to organize a union for the miners in West Virginia. The miners have been very badly treated. They tell stories of beatings and cave ins that have occurred.(beatings that came from the company's guards, and cave ins that were of the result of the people not having the proper equipment) In one scene we actually see a cave in while it is not bloody or graphic it is quite intense. Overall there's nothing explicit or gross it's just talk.
A few major characters are killed, most notably Hillard, who is slowly tortured. He has his throat slit and his silhouette is seen twitching and gagging as he dies. Later on Hatfield brings him back and the townspeople all cry and have a funeral.
The mayor is shot in the stomach and later dies.
Sid Hatfield is said to have been shot to death.
A few mining executives are shot.
- Profanity Reason
- The occasional "damn" and "hell" nothing strong.
"Whore" is said once.
"Nigger", "dago", "scab" and other racist terms are used, but as time goes on the miners stop using these phrases and befriend the workers of other ethnicity/races.
- Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking Reason
- The workers hang out in a bar, they drink and smoke but don't use drugs.
- Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Frightening & Intense Scenes Reason
- The story's could frighten some children as well as the cave in.
United States of America,