Watch The Cowboys
MPA Maturity Rating
BBFC Maturity Rating
Watch with Premium
Watch The Cowboys
The Cowboys is a 1972 movie with a runtime of 131
Director Mark Rydell,
Cast John Wayne,
Roscoe Lee Browne,
When his cattlemen abandon him for the gold fields, rancher Wil Andersen is forced to take on a collection of young boys as his cowboys in order to get his herd to market in time to avoid financial disaster. The boys learn to do a man's job under Andersen's tutelage; however, neither Andersen nor the boys know that a gang of cattle thieves is stalking them. Currently you are able to watch "The Cowboys
" streaming on we platform.
- MPAA Reason
- BBFC Reason
- Contains moderate violence
- Maturity Rating Reason
based on novel or book,
- BBFC Ratings info
- Sex & Nudity
- Sex & Nudity Reason
- Some boys who've never seen a dark-skinned person before ask a black man if he is black all over his body and if his private parts are black too.
A married woman tells her husband that she'll think about him before she goes to sleep at night, and he replies that if she does she won't sleep.
At one point, the boys discuss the first time they saw a naked woman.
Two of the cowboys have a run-in with some scantily dressed women who turn out to be a troupe of prostitutes.
- Violence & Gore
- Violence & Gore Reason
- Would be PG-13 for violence, if such a rating existed back when the picture was released, as it borderlines on being R-rated material. The extent of the gore is a bleeding man with blood-soaked clothing.
A man is stabbed. A man is clubbed to death with rifles. Two men engage in a brutal fistfight. A man is shot multiple times all over his body and slowly bleeds to death. A young boy is trampled by stampeding cattle. A young boy is roughly treated by some men, a knife having been held to his throat and him strangled a little bit. Several men are shot at close range. A man is dragged to death by a running horse.
- Profanity Reason
- Fairly frequent use of mild curse words like "hell," "damn," etc. Also, some crass words and phrases, such as "son of a bitch." A black character is called a "nigger."
- Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking Reason
- A group of boys steal a bottle of whiskey and get drunk, consuming nearly half of the bottle's material.
- Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Frightening & Intense Scenes Reason
- The first is a group of outlaws taking over a herd of cattle and severely wounding the trail boss. The second is the cowhands taking revenge on the outlaws and retaking the herd. The leader of the gang of outlaws is vicious throughout the film.
MPAA ratings on the home video casings state "GP" (which was the earlier version of the modern PG rating), though by today's standards, the intensity of some of the more violent and dramatic moments would place the rating around PG-13 bordering on R.
A young boy is killed in a stampede, which can be emotionally distressful. Along with Will Andersen, the main character, he is killed in a shootout, which is very sad & brutal (he has bloody wounds). The scene with group of men physically harassing one of the cowboys is somewhat disturbing.
Sanford Productions (III),
Warner Bros. Pictures,
United States of America,